We offer professional copyediting and proofreading services to help you ensure that your copy is as good as it possibly can be before it’s published or sent to your customers.
The copyediting and proofreading processes are the final touches that show a business pays attention to detail in all its activities.
Copyediting and proofreading are two related but distinct activities and we have included them together here as there is often confusion between the two.
So, what’s the difference between proofreading and copyediting?
If you’re not clear about this please take a moment to consider the following questions to help you decide which service you need:
- Has your text already been through your internal approval procedures?
- Are you confident that it is factually accurate, includes all the necessary information, is written in a ‘tone of voice’ that is appropriate to the target audience, and is written to the required length?
- Are you as confident as you can be that the content and style of your text represents your company in a professional manner?
- Are you confident that your text will not get you ‘into trouble’ (for example by defaming competitors or making claims that cannot be substantiated)?
- In short, if you had to send it to press – or to your customers – right now, would you be reasonably happy with it?
If you can answer ‘yes’ to all the above questions, you need our proofreading services. We will be your independent and unbiased extra pair of eyes, correcting spelling, punctuation, typographical and grammar errors, ensuring consistency of style and identifying (and drawing your attention to) any ambiguities, factual errors and anything that lacks clarity of meaning or that could be illegal.
If we’re proofreading pages of a publication we’ll also check that pictures are correctly captioned, that headlines and other page furniture make sense and that page numbers agree with the flat plan. We’ll either mark up in the good old-fashioned way, with a red pen on hard copy, or will make changes to a text document using tracking so you can see the changes. If required we will then check revised proofs to ensure that amendments have been made.
However, if you are in doubt about whether you need more than our proofreading services, please consider the following questions:
- If you’re honest, do you think the copy could benefit from some improvement before it goes to press?
- Was it written in a hurry, or by someone who is not a professional writer, or by someone who’s too close to the subject matter to be able to spot any problems with the text?
- Is it rather too long for the likely attention span of the target audience?
- Are you unsure if the writing style and tone of voice are appropriate to your overall marketing message and your target audience?
- Would anything about the copy worry you if you had to publish it or send it to your customers right now?
If you answer ‘yes’ to the above questions you could benefit from our copyediting services before you even consider having the copy proofread. Working to the brief you supply, we will rewrite, tweak and otherwise improve your copy, in order to ensure that the text you send out represents your business in the most professional way. We will ensure it is of a length and style appropriate to the audience; rework anything that seems unclear, ambiguous or incorrect; check facts; and cut over-matter without damaging the sense of the copy.
We hope the above information is helpful in deciding whether you require proofreading or copyediting services.
Our fee for proofreading is £12.50 per 1,000 words.
Our fee for copyediting is £40 per 1,000 words.